At the outbreak of World War One, the Portsmouth Citizens' Patriotic Recruiting Committee decided to form the Portsmouth's Own Battalion.
Formally known as the 14th and 15th Battalions Hampshire Regiment, they became better known as the 1st and 2nd Pompey Pals. The regiments were formed in late 1914 and early 1915 and men enlisted when attending football matches at Fratton Park, the enlisting tables having been set up in Frogmore Road.
Portsmouth can be regarded as one of the first places in the country to do this and was followed by towns and cities across Great Britain, forming a major part of Kitchener's 'New Army'.
Serving with distinction in many of the famous battles on the Western Front, over 6000 men enlisted, 1425 never returned home.